Thursday, January 31, 2008

Week 3 - Instructional Design

I'm writing this on Thursday from home because - yeah! snow day!! Even though there is no snow, but expectation of 3 - 8 inches later this afternoon. Guess my snow dance worked. I'll worry about having days added to the school year later.

The following statement from Reiser & Dempsey page 14 of reading this week is very relevant to what I am working on right now: "Although the data may not always bring good news, they are always "friendly" in that they provide a rational basis for decision making and a basis for successfully completing the project." I'm helping with data collection/analysis for pre-and post-common assessments for language arts and math classes. The pre- and post- comparison data is used to determine competencies on standards, determine the types of inteventions required, etc. If I am applying the ADDIE model properly, the pre-test data would be considered in the analysis phase, and the post-test data in the evaluation phase. The goal of the project would be to maintain and/or increase student scores on MAP tests.

Evidently I keep a lot on my mind - didn't realize until I was working through the ADDIE project for this week how many steps I work through mentally and never put down in writing. Not altogether a bad thing, but not all that good either. Makes it too easy to assume that others have the information to work from that I have, and obviously that is not always true. Working through something like ADDIE does away with some of the assumptions, because it is all there in print to check and recheck.

No comments: