Saturday, January 26, 2008

Reflections on Week 2

I sat here for 10 minutes trying to come up with a good 'title' for this week's post and finally realized it really didn't matter - it's my blog and my thoughts and I can call it whatever I want! I think that is what has probably blocked me in writing a journal, etc. in the past - being too picky about just putting my thoughts down on paper. So, boring as it may be, Reflections works for me. This will be the last time I will agonize over this.

I noticed a happening on campus that was a Second Life demo, open only to Faculty & Students. Too bad, I would really like to see that. Coincidence, it seems everywhere I read more and more about it being used in education. Note to explore more about the use and see if it would work for my ASI group at school.

Looks like the Beta group has a good start on getting a grasp on our project. Been awhile since I worked online with a group but I love the exchange of ideas that comes with this type of collaboration. Even if I had to go to the online dictionary several times to understand what was being discussed!

Chapter 25 Getting a Job in Business and Industry may be a repeat of things that I have heard over and over in different formats, etc. but some of the information is so good for me right now. I really don't know what I want to do. Most of my experience has been at the community college level – work and teaching. I enjoy working with adults, and that is probably the area I feel most comfortable with, even though I enjoy the middle school age, or else why would I be here for five years. The WorkMatrix is similar to assessments we ask our 7th grades to take from Missouri Connections. Should I be discouraged that I need something like this at my advanced age? I love online instruction/facilitation, you can really get to know your students, but sometimes I miss the face-to-face interaction, so community service classes take care of that need. My full-time job was in management, and my degree is in management. I always looked on the teaching as my 'fun time'. I think the training is probably where my interests are and I should explore that area more.

Semantic web discussions were enlightening. Must do more exploration on this topic, but glad it wasn’t chosen for our group project – way over my head at this point. Although, it would have been good for me if we had chosen it so that I can learn more about it. Catch-22! Not as if don't have volumes to learn about everything else we discussed.

On to ADDIE ...

No comments: